PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Streaming: Your opinions

tcg joey
06-08-2015, 03:31 PM
As part of the Xbox Preview and Windows 10 Technical Preview i've been able to get early access to the Xbox windows 10 integration and whilst it's certainly impressive I'm still not sold on the "Streaming" side. The idea is pretty simple really stream your Xbox game play etc. to another device likely a tablet or PC. Whilst on the same network there isn't any lag but it just feels rather wanky. Why would i want to play on my Surface or Laptop screen when i have a massive fuck off Telly. Ergonomically it just doesn't make much sense but i do really like streaming non gaming stuff to my surface especially when running my Sky Box through the HDMI input on my Xbox.

Does this streaming interest anyone else or am i just missing the point?

Samorai
06-08-2015, 04:34 PM
I'm sure Dave will wade in any moment but in the meantime.. I can see the point of it, for people with kids/other halfs who loving watching shit TV, it could be useful. You could continue playing a game/watching a film/whatever on your tablet or other device whilst your kids/other half play their awful games/watch their dreadful TV, thus allowing you to maintain a semblance of peace and without having to take the xbox upstairs to another TV etc. Being an asocial oddball, its not really an issue for me but I can see the point

S7eve
06-08-2015, 04:37 PM
Can you not just use Sky Go to view Sky on your tablet?

The PS3/PS4 are capable of remote play on the Vita, ive never used it once. Never felt the need. I dont want to play a console game on a tiny screen personally.

Like Sam i reckon its for people who have their console stuck in one room to be able to play in another when the telly has been commandeered. I think most homes have multiple Tvs now though so im not seeing the point myself.

There are loads of internet aware devices in our house.

BlackKnight616
06-08-2015, 04:42 PM
I'll use it, without a doubt. TV's sometimes commandeered/her indoors is suck of watching me grind out games so I'll pop on the tablet, continue playing there & give over the TV.

I could wire up the house so I send the HDMI signal to other rooms (something I will probably do at some point) but for now I cannot be arsed.

S7eve
06-08-2015, 04:43 PM
Give it a year - you'll be decanted to separate rooms with your own TVs.

Thats married life for you.

tcg joey
06-09-2015, 08:31 AM
I could have fucking used it last night. I was steaming through Child of Light (shamazing btw) only for that wife to come home and decide she needed to watch Eastenders. Had to sit through that shit before i got the TV back for Game of Thrones (also AMAZING). I retract my previous and will commence streaming in future instances of wife based cuntery

BlackKnight616
06-09-2015, 10:12 AM
I could have fucking used it last night. I was steaming through Child of Light (shamazing btw) only for that wife to come home and decide she needed to watch Eastenders. Had to sit through that shit before i got the TV back for Game of Thrones (also AMAZING). I retract my previous and will commence streaming in future instances of wife based cuntery

I just want to know the actual hardware requirements for this, will it run on a crappy tablet or will it require something a little more beefy.

Samorai
06-09-2015, 11:30 AM
Next time lady-wife wants to watch Eastenders just say "Here's a recap, they're all a bunch of self centred East End London cunts who live boring and mundane lives. THE. END", then she won't need to watch it.

tcg joey
06-09-2015, 12:10 PM
She watches it to spite me i swear she does.

It's supposed to run on anything including mobiles so unless you have an utter junk tablet or PC then you should be fine.

S7eve
06-09-2015, 12:14 PM
I just want to know the actual hardware requirements for this, will it run on a crappy tablet or will it require something a little more beefy.

I would say not much, the console is doing the hard part by encoding the video, decoding at the other end is less intensive. If your device can play HD youtube vids without stuttering then it should be fine.

The problem will be lag and potentially your wireless network choking up. I know that if i cast an HD film at the same time netflix is running then everything grinds to a halt due to that, and ive got a good router as well.

BlackKnight616
06-09-2015, 12:25 PM
The only reason I want to know is that I don’t currently have a Windows tablet of any description & as long as it will run on some piece of junk hardware I’ll just buy something nice & cheap.

tcg joey
06-09-2015, 12:31 PM
There shouldn't be an issue with Lag in the same room but once you start throwing in the typical arrangement of solid walls and ceilings & my dream of playing Halo on the shitter goes out of the window unless i get clever and rig AP's throughout my house....... Good job we're a Cisco partner and i can get anything i want dirt cheap :-)

S7eve
06-09-2015, 01:27 PM
You will notice lag if you're playing a game, even in the same room.

particularly if its online shooty stuff, platformers and single player stuff will be better.

tcg joey
06-09-2015, 01:35 PM
60FPS at 1080p that's some serious sync required unless you move into the realms of dynamic resolution and some impressive compression.