PDA

View Full Version : Alternate take on used games

Samorai
05-23-2013, 06:03 PM
I know we're all fearing the worst from the Xbox One but this offers a pretty interesting take on how the new system will affect game prices. Granted, it's just conjecture but it raises some interesting questions. I know a lot of you will go "not likely, they'll just charge full price etc for all the games because they're greedy" and yes, almost all corporations are greedy but there is only so far you can push people before they get pissed off and find another way.

Food for thought, anyways:

The Xbox One will kill used games and control second-hand sales, and thatís great news (Really!) (http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/the-death-of-used-games-and-control-of-the-second-hand-market-could-be-the)

dannydiddle
05-23-2013, 07:35 PM
A good article with some interesting ideas. Piracy is a huge issue, although I think it affects the PC market most. If less piracy equals cheaper games for those of us who pay for them then that's a good thing. Or, at the very least, if it leads to more investment in developers then I'm a fan of such a move, to an extent. I do suspect, though, that MS will find themselves so desperate to get customers that they'll change the policy to an approach which is friendlier to buyers and sellers of used games. The discussion below the article was very interesting too. I wonder what Sony will do if MS do carry on along this route?

BlackKnight616
05-23-2013, 08:03 PM
I don't know about the piracy bit, piracy on PC remains as rampant as ever, I think if anything it keeps prices lower.

For me personally it all comes down to price, and if I perceive I'm being ripped off I'll jump right off that train.

S7eve
05-23-2013, 08:32 PM
So if Microsoft make more money games pricing will come down on their closed platform?

I smell shite.

One comment in that article made some sense. You buy the game new it has an activation key in it, like the online pass works at the moment. Except now it's a pass to unlock the game itself. You trade the disc in, you can buy it second hand, but you can't play it without an activation code. So now ms get a huge skin out the preowned market while still claiming we can buy preowned games and trade games in etc.

Basically it's a tax on preowned that they will levy on you. The physical media that you are buying preowned is basically worthless but they think that saving a couple of quid by buying the disc portion of the package second hand will placate everyone.

The games on demand prices are a disgrace, and that's what ms are hoping we will swallow price wise.

Marc The G
05-23-2013, 08:51 PM
The way I see this, all consoles will make this switch or none (or one will and one will fail).

The whole 'sell one copy and pass it round your mates' idea all sounds good for everybody but the game shops, so picture the scenario if One did this and Sony didn't...

Game Manager: We need to shift more PS4s than Ones today guys, we actually see PS4 customers again.

Game Worker: Hi, may we offer you our latest deal on a PS4.

Customer: Oh, I was going to take a One, but I can get cheap games if I take a PS4, and for some unknown reason you have put the price of the One up recently.

Game Worker: Ok thank you for buying a PS4 and we will see you soon!

*May not be actual script between customer and shop workers, actual acting skills may vary.

BlackKnight616
05-23-2013, 09:15 PM
Oh undoubtedly, retail stores would annihilate anything threatening their market share if the alternative offered to keep the status quo.