PDA

View Full Version : Xbox One Incompatible with Current Headsets

tcg joey
05-23-2013, 01:10 PM
So one thing i missed first time round is Microsoft have effectively killed off the current generation of headsets by introducing a new data port in place of the chat cable. This renders all headsets including Turtle Beach and Astro worthless once upgrading to the Next Gen effectively adding on a couple of Hundred quid. Of all the things revealed so far this has fucked me off the most i can't stand cheap headsets but wont be forking out for a new pair of Astro's any time soon.

It's now gone from a Will buy to a might not buy.

BlackKnight616
05-23-2013, 01:21 PM
Oh you are fucking kidding me! Fuck you Microsoft.

Samorai
05-23-2013, 01:35 PM
That is a dick move, the sort of thing Apple would do. Would there be any adapters that would do the job?

On a tangent, if I plug my headset directly into the TV so I can use it for both PS3 and Xbox, does that affect sound quality?

S7eve
05-23-2013, 01:45 PM
there is a market for a bridging device by the sounds of things.

BlackKnight616
05-23-2013, 01:46 PM
Optical is better but you probably won’t notice a major drop off in quality at reasonable volumes.

And on this front at least when Apple changed all their dock connectors they were decent enough to offer adapters so everyone could keep using their old kit. I’ll wait and see if greedy old M$ give us the same courtesy.

S7eve
05-23-2013, 01:47 PM
re your question sam, no it shouldnt affect the quality.
Unless you are one of those saddos that claim to have golden ears and use gold connectors etc.
A normal person shouldnt notice.

tcg joey
05-23-2013, 01:55 PM
A bridge is the only option at this point, i've asked Warblade over at Astro for a headsup he might know what is going on. I would be surprised if they were consulted on the design changes. I appreciate the chat cable is a piece of shit and needed to be upgraded but if they lock out all the older headsets man that is one huge mistake

S7eve
05-23-2013, 02:01 PM
ill design one.
Get me the specs and lets do this shit lol.

BlackKnight616
05-23-2013, 02:10 PM
I’ll just break into M$ HQ and get you a console mate.

Samorai
05-23-2013, 02:19 PM
re your question sam, no it shouldnt affect the quality.
Unless you are one of those saddos that claim to have golden ears and use gold connectors etc.
A normal person shouldnt notice.

I'm pleased to say I am not one of those bell-ends. It might get a bit fiddly though because I'd need to keep the USB/chat cable plugged into the box but take the sound feed from the TV. Or is what I just said technically impossible?

I’ll just break into M$ HQ and get you a console mate.

If you do make a suitable adapter, I'll do one better than BK. I'll make you a tasty pasta bake. Served with the hooch of your choice. Because my pasta bake doesn't block used games and is backward compatible with all crockery and cutlery

S7eve
05-23-2013, 02:29 PM
thats how I currently use my headset sam.

Re the pasta bake, id rather a fishermans pie tbh.

Samorai
05-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Very well, a fishermans' pie you shall have, with 29 types of fish!

dannydiddle
05-23-2013, 02:54 PM
That is a really evil move by MS. Bloody evil corporations, we didn't have these problems back when it was all Megadrives and SNES'!

S7eve
05-23-2013, 03:03 PM
there will be valid engineering decisions behind it but as usual they let the bad news out first and the reasons get burned in the hate flames.

tcg joey
05-23-2013, 04:25 PM
there will be valid engineering decisions behind it but as usual they let the bad news out first and the reasons get burned in the hate flames.

That chat cable is a piece of shit i pray they can sort something out spunking that kind of money on top of the cost of a new console is a no go for me. A bigger deal breaker than always on

BlackKnight616
05-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Why canít they use the same damn standards as everyone else, standard mic port, standard headphone port. No problems.

S7eve
05-23-2013, 04:51 PM
its the data going back the other way thats more the issue id imagine.

BlackKnight616
05-23-2013, 04:54 PM
It’s just a proprietary mic port from what I can tell, miniaturised to force everyone to buy new gear rather than the stuff they already own.

Samorai
05-23-2013, 05:33 PM
Fuck that, I'll just buy an adapter. I've had to buy a new headset anyway since I managed to maul my trusty old X11's (really old it turns out) so I'm not buying another fucking one for a new console.

Dr Steve, whats the legal/copyright to do with proprietary connectors like this? Do adaptors usually exist in a legal grey area because presumably they are reverse engineered? Apart from any official ones but who knows if they are coming

DOOGZZZ
05-26-2013, 07:56 PM
Just buy a converter. they dont cost much.

S7eve
05-26-2013, 09:04 PM
Dr Steve, whats the legal/copyright to do with proprietary connectors like this? Do adaptors usually exist in a legal grey area because presumably they are reverse engineered? Apart from any official ones but who knows if they are coming

Its a complex question. It would depend if its breaking any patents or being used to circumvent copy protection. And as its not breaking the seal on the system you should be ok.

Its more an issue for the peripheral manufacturer and retailer to worry about - not the end user.