Thread: Mass Effect 1

Share/Bookmark
    View GamerTag

Gamertag: Msross

Mass Effect 1

Another Oldie, but Goldie!

Sadly there's few shortcuts to getting achievements in this quality game, but there are 'quick run throughs'!

Firstly, whilst there's 6 character classes, 3 are unique & the other 3 are bridging characters... to get the achievements for the weapon kills are easy enough (if your stuck use the soldier class!)
    The other lots require the Biotic or Engineer class.

A quick(ish) way of getting these is creating a new character of that class & playing through getting the skill usage as you go - sadly, whilst there's a couple of 'might work' targets, I found it easier to enter a base on a world (not a main mission world); set your teammates to hide at the start (Up D-Pad) & then take cover & use the skills over & over until you get them - boring yes, achievements yes!

The Insane playthrough needs to be a decent levelled character... Biotic works well with another Biotic (or biotic/soldier hybrid) & a Soldier.. Save often & use cover! -Stick to just doing the 4 main missions only & you'll have it licked better than a cat!.

The Ally achievements are the most arduous, giving you can only get 2 per playthrough.. which means you need to do 3 full playthroughs! - Not just the main missions, but the side missions too - Given the amount of side missions, I recommend spending the time of just doing these on casual and throwing shoes at the enemies (they're that easy on casual)

Be aware you have a choice between Ashley & Kaiden near the end, so make sure you have their achievements unlocked if you choose to do them both together (not in that way! )

Essentially, you want to have everything completed before heading to Virmire.

Easy editable guide for completion :
    Mass Effect - Character Progress achievements.doc

Note : the number of quests per character is different too..
    each unlocks when that number of quests are completed, Liara is the one that requires the most quests & pretty much requires all of them!
    Just stick with using your two main characters all the way through & you'll be fine!

Collecting ore scans, assari shit or matriarch writings are not required..
    Last edited by msross; 07-01-2010 at 12:29 AM.

View GamerTag

Gamertag: joe is special
    I Found the best team was easily

Shepard- Soldier - Shock Trooper maxed Assault rifle skill
    Liara - Maxed Singularity and Lift
    Tali - Maxed overload and AI hacking

That combo nails everything if you remember to combine your powers. On the big dudes i'd hit them with overload then lift and shoot the fuck out of them. Works on Saren as well just use lift over and over.

There is a cracking armour glitch that allows all characters too wear the really bad ass heavy armour even when they can only wear light armour giving liara and Tali heavy krogan armour makes them unkillable

Always change your weapon ammo depending on enemey. On human targets i use anti personnel or Shredder ammo and for the Geth i used Tungsten rounds with high explosive rounds or sledge hammer rounds in the shotgun for when the big krogans get all up in yo face it knocks them down in 1 hit allowing you to regroup. I never really bothered with any other types i always traded them.

Armour wise i always upgraded the First aid interface and the shield interface and added toxic protection when needed. Again i never really bothered with physics stuff.
    I looked death square in the eye, he blinked" Giant Grizzly Bear

View GamerTag

Gamertag: Outsid3rs
    I thought ME was crap for achievements personally. I didn't get enough for one playthrough and wasn't motivated to go thru again.

View GamerTag

Gamertag: joe is special
    Quote Originally Posted by S7eve View Post
    I thought ME was crap for achievements personally. I didn't get enough for one playthrough and wasn't motivated to go thru again.
    Too much grind i enjoyed the insaine playthrough but grinding the character ones was cheap.
    I looked death square in the eye, he blinked" Giant Grizzly Bear

View GamerTag

Gamertag: beaker smiles
    Well I've just got ME2 for Chrimbo, so I thought I would revisit ME1 to get the feel. I don't have any of the ally cheevo's, and wondered how many you needed, so here is a list (straight from the MEwiki).

Soldier Ally (20) – Complete 45 assignments with Ashley Williams. Damage Reduction improves by 10%
    Sentinel Ally (20) – Complete 45 assignments with Kaidan Alenko. Lift and Throw recharge time improve by 10%
    Krogan Ally (20) – Complete 40 assignments with Urdnot Wrex. Regenerate 1 hp per second (main character only)
    Turian Ally (20) – Complete 50 assignments with Garrus Vakarian. Damping and Overload recharge time improve by 10%
    Quarian Ally (20) – Complete 45 assignments with Tali'Zorah nar Rayya. Sabotage and AI Hacking recharge time improve by 10%
    Asari Ally (20) – Complete 50 assignments with Liara T'Soni. Barrier and Stasis recharge time improve by 10%

There are 73 missions in the normal game or 79 if you have all the DLC.

View GamerTag

Gamertag: After8mintz
    I been looking at Mass Effect for a while is it a good game to play? or should it be Mass Effect 2 which is more FPS than the first one

Furywing Guest

Re: Mass Effect 2

Quote Originally Posted by After8mintz View Post
    I been looking at Mass Effect for a while is it a good game to play? or should it be Mass Effect 2 which is more FPS than the first one
    I wouldn't say so much FPS, it's still the same third person action the first one employed, there is just a hell of a lot more of it in the second one (a good thing given the first one could be a bit dialogue heavy in the earlier stages).

To be honest though I wouldn't skip straight to the sequel as a whole lot goes on in the first part that gets picked up in the second story-wise, and it is still a damm fine game despite it's few niggles.

Adieu!

View GamerTag

Gamertag: After8mintz
    i am juggling the idea of getting ME1 or Borderlands, any suggestions

The Matt36 Guest
    ME was and still is one of the best games of this gen! Not to play it, will be a travesty!